MUSTANG GENTLING




This blog is about the gentling of wild Mustangs and their stages of training.

































Monday, March 9, 2009

It's snowing here again!


Saturday I took Princess and Dino to the beach again. I have only been able to ride Princess once a week as the fairgrounds has had OSET there all month. I don't get home till after dark so I just have the weekends. Now that the clocks have changed I will have daylight when I get home.
I rode Princess first and she was quite nervous. I don't know why. She kept looking behind her and prancing. So our ride wasn't that good.
Then I rode Dino and we had a wonderful ride. We did figure eights and rollbacks on the beach. He really was enjoying himself. I guess I can't expect to have two great rides all the time. Then I took him through the dunes and was cantering down a little hill. I felt his back end go out from under him a little bit. I think it was his stiffle muscle. The chiropractor said he was very stiff in that area.
Sunday I took Princess and Dino to the ABRA show in Albany to do 1 trail class with both of them. Dino was still stiff so I decided not to ride him. Princess did fairly well in her first trail class, but she was acting nervous again. I then took her in open trail as I wasn't riding Dino. She was really nervous this time and wouldn't hardly do any opsticals. She was nervous about the crowd and a big orange caution sign. She couldn't wait to get out of the arena and was charging out the gate. I made her stop and she reared UP!!! I don't know what has gotten into her. I guess I am going to ride without spurs for awhile and see if that helps. I have been telling Lisa all along that I have been waiting for her to hit a wall (so to speak) and now she has and of coarse it's the week before Expo. Well, what are yah going to do? The best you can I guess.

2 comments:

froglander said...

Good luck! Can't wait to see how she does at the Expo :)

Tracey said...

Oh, man, Kevin! I'm so sorry to hear that. But she's got a week to work it through in her mind, right? And she just may get over it. Or do you think the lack of riding is the issue?